In Swahili, ‘mifuko’ means ‘pocket’, and we ensure no one is left with empty pockets in the end.
For the artisans in Kenya, it’s fair pay, empowerment, and less dependence on unpredictable farming as a source of income.
For Mifuko customers (that’s you!), it’s a unique piece that weaves together classic Nordic design, traditional Kenyan handcraft, and the story of a strong, independent woman whose signature you can find on the label.
All Mifuko´s products are handmade in Kenya by our artisans in women’s self-help groups. While workshops offer artisans a regular income, good working conditions and further education we also make sure that our artisans get needed knowledge.
With the work we provide the women in Kenya have been able to bring in extra income on the side of unpredictable and weather-dependent farming. For some, Mifuko has turned into their most important job, and daughters of rural families have been able to return to their home villages from the big city slums because of the work provided by Mifuko. Because of the income Mifuko provides, the women can buy products and services from others in their villages. This way, the whole community benefits.
Our social impact in a nutshell:
- Mifuko provides work for over 650 artisans and thereby support for the local communities
- Mifuko maintains long-term relationships with women´s self-help groups and other partner workshops.
- Mifuko products are handmade in Kenya.
- Mifuko´s supply chain is completely transparent.
- Mifukos products are environmentally sustainable.
- Mifuko provides 50% advance payments to producers on orders and the other 50% is paid when the products are finished.
- In the design process Mifuko works together with the artisans taking into account their skills and capacity.