Title: Communications and Fundraising Trainee
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Traineeship Duration: 4-6 months
Starting: Flexible, beginning from January 2024
We are seeking an enthusiastic and proactive trainee to join our small team, which is located in Finland and Kenya and includes a Project Manager in Finland, a Project Manager in Kenya, and a Project Assistant in Kenya. Additionally, Mifuko Trust board members will be part of your work team as volunteers, and you will collaborate with Mifuko Ltd. staff on specific tasks.
Mifuko Trust is a women's aid and advocacy organization founded in 2012. We
strongly believe in empowering women to enhance the well-being of their entire
community. We work in partnership with 40 women's self-help groups in rural
southeastern Kenya, reaching approximately 1300 low-income families.
Members of the Mifuko Trust women's groups produce baskets for the fair trade company Mifuko and are also small-scale farmers. The work of Mifuko and Mifuko Trust complements each other, as Mifuko creates jobs and livelihoods for the self-help groups, while Mifuko Trust strengthens the well-being, resilience, and participation of women and their communities, for example through the WASH and Grow! project.
Your tasks would include for example:
- Collaborate closely with the Project Manager in Finland and Project Assistant in Kenya.
- Work closely with the entire project team, especially in the areas of
- communications and fundraising.
- Coordinate events or campaigns related to fundraising.
- Develop a communications strategy and plan based on the Mifuko Trust strategy in collaboration with the Project team and Mifuko Ltd. communications team.
- Create content (e.g., blogs, social media posts, webpage content, fundraising/advertisements) in English, and if possible, in Finnish, ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Effectively communicate and provide updates to the team, both verbally and in writing.
- Complete any necessary administrative tasks assigned by the Project Manager.
- Demonstrate a continuous commitment to meeting beneficiaries' needs and maintaining confidentiality.
Trainee Requirements and Qualifications:
- Studies in a relevant field (e.g., journalism, communication, social sciences).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written).
- Ability to proactively address potential issues.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including experience with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Collaborative working style and a team-player attitude.
- Ability to work independently with some supervision.
- High motivation with a strong work ethic.
- Reliability, trustworthiness, and commitment to the team's success.
- Basic or good Finnish language skills.
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Relevant volunteer or work experience.
We offer flexibility in working hours and arrangements and operate in a hybrid work environment. We have the possibility for office/team work at the Mifuko store and office in Arabia, Helsinki.
Mifuko Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in our workplace and encourage individuals of all ages, genders, and backgrounds, including those from different minorities, to apply. We welcome applications from candidates of all ages and backgrounds. Positive affirmative action may be implemented in the selection process to enhance workforce diversity.
Salary: We hope that the intern will have the opportunity to receive support from their educational institution for their internship. The intern will receive a monthly salary of 1,331 euros plus 9% vacation compensation. Mifuko Trust provides interns with the necessary tools.
Please send your application, including an application letter and CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 20th, 2023. In the subject line, please write: Communication and Fundraising Intern. In addition to the application, please attach a short writing sample and an example of self-created social media content, which can be provided as screenshots or in other file formats. The interviews will take place in November. For more information, contact Anita Lintula, anita.lintula(at)mifukotrust.org or call +358 45 783 430 62.